We’re excited to announce the release of our latest project, the Educator Toolkit for Teacher and Student Privacy: A Practical Guide for Protecting Personal Data, in partnership with the Badass Teachers Association (BATs). This toolkit complements the Parent Toolkit for Student Privacy we released last year with the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood.
Our new educator toolkit is a comprehensive guide to help teachers understand the increased threats to education-related data made worse by the rapid adoption of education technology. It is designed to support their efforts to become responsible digital citizens by providing strategies and best practices to minimize the disclosure of personal data and protect the privacy of their students as well as their own.
Learn how to protect teacher and student privacy today; download your FREE toolkit HERE and share it with the educators in your life.
You may also download individual sections of the toolkit below:
- Introduction and Acknowledgments
- Section I: Why is teacher data at risk?
- Section II: Why is student data at risk?
- Section III: What teachers should know about federal student privacy laws
- Section IV: Important points to consider before educators adopt education technology
- Section V: Limit social media use in school with ten simple rules to follow
- Section VI: Best practices and practical tips to protect teacher and student privacy
- Section VII: How to advocate for stronger teacher and student data protections
- Appendix A: Sample teacher contract language protecting educator privacy
- Appendix B: Results from our educator survey, focus groups, and interviews on data privacy
The Educator Toolkit for Teacher and Student Privacy was made possible by a grant from the American Federation of Teachers, the National Education Association Foundation, and the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment. Check out our press release here.